Monday, March 27, 2006

Scoble Isn't Full of C.R.A.P.; I Recently Took Some C.R.A.P. off a Friend

Microsoft employee and blogger Robert Scoble agrees with ZDNet Executive Director David Berlind; he doesn't want any of the C.R.A.P. associated with Digital Rights Management. Catch Berlind's video explaining just why DRM is bad for the consumer.

Until about two weeks ago, I had several no portable music devices, but none that could handle protected music, so I was somewhat DRM-free. However, when I was given an opportunity to trade a USB flash drive pen for an iPod Shuffle, I jumped right into the C.R.A.P. Despite this, I am still quite aware that DRM looks and smells like the C.R.A.P. it is. You'll not catch me loading up on a lot of C.R.A.P., now that I've got a tank that can handle it. If I have bought some music, for example, I expect to be able to play it on whatever I'm carrying at the time. If that means something must be de-C.R.A.P.'d, so be it.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that a Microsoft employee, even one that has had lunch with Bill Gates, has an opinion that differs from the company line, but I was. Maybe it's just because I wouldn't dare mention my own employer by name, let alone publicly disagree with them, and they aren't anywhere near as omnipotent as Microsoft. Ahhh, cowardice...such a rare trait on the net..

No comments: