Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Brighthand: What's the Difference Between the Two Types of Windows Mobile?

Before this year, I didn't even know that there were Windows Mobile (WM) phones that didn't have touchscreens. I thought that Windows Mobile Smartphone was just another name for Pocket PC Phone. I couldn't afford one, so I didn't need to know any better. By the time I had to support any WM phones, my Sprint PPC-6700 was on order, and I quickly learned the difference, well, as far as input was concerned.

Brighthand is continuing my education (of course, that's why the site is listed in my RSS reader). You see, I haven't actually worked with a Smartphone, so I didn't know until now that they don't come with Microsoft Office Mobile, and therefore cannot edit Office documents, although some Smartphones ship with apps that allow one to view said documents.*

Thanks to Brighthand, I am even more firmly convinced that I never want a Smartphone (unless a plain old phone is my only other choice). Now, if the folks at Brighthand would tell me how to turn off (temporarily) Microsoft Direct Push on a Windows Mobile Treo (without turning off the phone), I could happily close one of the support calls in my queue. On my phone, it seems to be just a matter of hitting the button in the Comm Manager, but I can find nothing like that on the Treo.

The Brighthand article has additional useful information. Check out the link below:

Link to What's the Difference Between the Two Types of Windows Mobile?

*Sounds like one of the reasons I said a reluctant goodbye to Palm years ago.

No comments: