Monday, September 11, 2006

Ars Technica: Large Majority of Theater-Goers Favor Cell Phone Jamming

Large majority of theater-goers favor cell phone jamming

This is a few days old, but I wanted to put my two cents in. Ok, so the only theaters I ever go into are movie theaters, but I'm definitely not in favor of jamming cell phones. Some people (like yours truly) happen to have jobs which require us to be summoned to work at any hour of the night or on weekends, and on rare occasions, the paging system isn't working. Heck, I'm not even sure if jamming the phones wouldn't affect the pagers. Most of the time, I won't go out if I'm on call, because I'd hate to spend the money and have to leave partway through the movie, but I've made exceptions. I am smart enough to silence my phone, though, and I expect it of others.

Seriously, find a better way. I'm all for fining people, ejecting them, confiscating their devices until after the show, or even revoking whatever kind of special patronage perks they get. Humiliate enough of the miscreants, and they might get the message. Just don't screw with the livelihoods of those of us who make the effort to be considerate to others.

No comments: