Thursday, November 09, 2006

Gmail Mobile on a PPC-6700

I installed the Java version of Gmail on my PPC-6700, and I've been playing around with it. It didn't take me long to remove the Gmail POP entry from Pocket Outlook (for some reason, that had ceased functioning weeks ago). I just wanted to tack up some screenshots of the app in action, nothing fancy.

I initially installed IBM WebSphere so I could run Google Maps, but it came in handy for a few other apps (not Gem Jam; I can't get that to work).

Launch!

Be my guest.

Inbox and menu shots

View of an email message and menus

A conversation

Replying to a message

Composing a new message

Picking a victim recipient

And off it goes!

I'm done with this message.

And now I'm done with the screenshots.

I have confirmed what a reader at GottaBeMobile reported, which is that searching addresses doesn't seem to be working on the 6700. Also, the client dies when I try to switch orientations. It's no problem for me if I start in an orientation and stick with it.

As far as I'm concerned, J-Gmail is a keeper.

No comments: