Sunday, April 08, 2007

Windows Vista on the ViewSonic Tablet PC V1250 - the Driving Experience

I had been running Vista betas on my convertible tablet since September 2005, but it wasn't until a week ago that I finally installed the final version. So far, so good. Most drivers, like video, audio and Wacom digitizer, installed without any input from me.

The Ricoh Secure Digital (SD) card controller, the tablet buttons, and the modem all had to be installed manually; it was a breeze using the drivers I already had copied onto another partition.

I don't recall any trouble getting the Cingular Sierra 875 HSDPA AirCard and 3G Watcher to work. Getting the Intel Pro Wireless 2100 3B driver to work was a different story: I tried multiple driver versions, including a set downloaded from Intel that specified that it supported Vista, and I got no joy. As I'd not had to do anything to get my Realtek LAN card working, Vista was happy to tell me that it had found a driver online; that, too, failed to install. After a reboot, however, the driver installed, and I got to move on to the headache of making the machine connect to my hidden, WEPped , MAC-restricted D-Link router. 

One driver issue has steadfastly refused to be resolved:


This error in Device Manager only shows up when I insert an SD card, or even a miniSD card in its adapter. I'm wondering if this is related to the hotfix Microsoft recently released for problems with Vista recognizing SD (source: Geekzone, via jkontheRun). Unfortunately, it looks like I'll have to call MS to find out.

 

 

Technorati tags: , ,

No comments: